Avoiding burnout and creating a positive company culture are common topics at conferences, panels, and events. So what are companies actually doing about it? Here’s how our team is fighting the stigma around mental health and giving our team tools to be successful in their personal and professional lives.
Last week our team sat down together to chat about Mindfulness and Meditation. We started by talking about the different ways we unwind, de-stress, and calm ourselves. Here are some ideas that came up:
- Go for a walk
- Leaving phone behind/reducing screentime
- Go play with dogs
- Playing catch
- Play easy video games
- Watch tv
- Going out of your comfort zone
- ASMR TikTok
- Water plants
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.
What is meditation?
Meditation isn’t about becoming a different person, a new person, or even a better person. It’s about training in awareness and getting a healthy sense of perspective. You’re not trying to turn off your thoughts or feelings. You’re learning to observe them without judgment. And eventually, you may start to better understand them as well.
Types of Meditation:
- Focused breathing
- Focused attention
- Body scan meditation
- Mindfulness meditation
- Walking meditation
- Mantra meditation
- Nature-inspired meditation
- Transcendental meditation
- Visualization meditation
- Grounding/self-regulation meditation
- Do nothing meditation
- Sound bath meditation
- Loving-kindness meditation
- Reflection meditation
- Yoga Nidra
- Mindful drawing/coloring
Benefits of Mindfulness & Meditation
We helped our team understand that mindfulness and meditation look different for everyone and can improve many things like:
- Reduce Stress
- Improve Physical and Mental Health
- Increase Compassion
- Sharpen Attention and Memory
- Reduce Bias
- Help Create & Maintain Healthy Relationships
Then we turned our cameras and mics off for a virtual guided meditation. Some people had practiced mediation before and others had not. This was a great way to start our morning feeling connected and grounded. Here is an example of a guided mediation you can do with your team.
Tools for Mindfulness & Meditation
As a group, we shared experiences and resources that helped us with mindfulness and meditation. Here are some apps that our team uses:
- Insight Timer
How to Start the Conversation
It can be difficult to get these conversations going so our People & Culture team came up with some questions to help get the dialogue going:
- What do you do when you feel overwhelmed to reconnect with yourself?
- How do your posture, breathing, and body impact your mood?
- Be vulnerable – share your experience with mediation or other practices that have helped you when you’re dealing with an issue.
- What do you do to ground/calm yourself?
- How do you check in with yourself?
- Why do you meditate?
- How has mindfulness or meditation helped your communication skills in a conflict?
- How has mindfulness or meditation helped you?
Wellness at ProFocus
As a company, we are constantly re-learning how to best support our employees. Remote and hybrid work has dramatically shifted the workplace and we must change with it. This virtual Wellness Workshop is a part of a quarterly series at ProFocus where we explore a new topic related to our overall wellness. Here are some other things we do at ProFocus to help our team:
- Wellness Reimbursement – If an employee has an average of 7,500 average daily steps they are eligible for a $100 Wellness Reimbursement that can be used for things like a gym membership or a piece of fitness equipment for home.
- Fitness Tracker for New Hires – Each new internal team member has the opportunity to be reimbursed up to $100 for a fitness tracker of their choice (FitBit, Apple Watch, etc.).
- ProActive Channel – This employee-led virtual group shares recipes, personal fitness achievements, plans group activities, and more to help motivate each other to stay active and take care of themselves.
- Wellness Workshops – Other wellness workshops have been on topics such as goal setting, the stress in the workplace, sleep habits, and more. Our team has enjoyed hearing from industry experts and professionals in these workshops as well.
Investing time and resources into the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of our team is just part of how we live our mission of creating exceptional experiences for everyone one of our team members. To learn more about the culture at ProFocus check out our page here.