Philip Lilly Memorial Scholarship
ProFocus will award one (1) deserving Agile IT professional with a one-time, non-renewable $2,000 scholarship. We are honored to make this an annual tradition in loving memory of Philip Lilly.
Philip Lilly was one of a kind. Everyone who knew Philip was amazed by his selfless nature and his willingness to always lend a hand. He never settled for the minimum and always brought passion and “outside the box” ideas to the table.
In November 2020, Philip passed away after a 3 year battle with lymphoma.
During most of his fight, he was working full-time as an IT Project Manager and in the end, as a Scrum Master. Today, friends, family & colleagues remember Philip’s strength, compassion, and outlook on life even through the darkest of times. As a ProFocus employee, Philip was beloved as a leader and a peer; he never shied away from vulnerability and always approached things with genuine curiosity. These qualities, and his passion for people, led him to pursue his PMP and Scrum Master certifications.
To honor Philip’s life & legacy, ProFocus will award $2,000 to a recipient annually that demonstrates the following:
- Actively in or pursuing a career as a Scrum Master or Agile IT Project Manager.
- Have a history of helping others.
- Understand the impact compassionate team members can have in the workplace.
To qualify for the Philip Lilly Memorial Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria by December 1st, 2022:
- You must be 18 years of age or older to apply.
- You must be a resident of the greater Portland/Vancouver/Salem metro area.
- Submit up to a one-page essay on this topic:
- Why are you interested in a career in Agile/Scrum/Project Management?
- Answer the following questions in 2-3 sentences:
- What certificate, course or class do you plan to use the scholarship for? See requirements for certificates/courses in the FAQ below.
- Provide an example of when you helped another team member or volunteered in the local tech community.
- In your opinion, what are some advantages and disadvantages of the Agile process?
- Provide an updated resume demonstrating their career interests in project management.
- Submit the requested materials together in PDF format in one email to [email protected] by 12/1/2022 (11:59 pm PT).
- Agree to the scholarship terms and conditions stated here.
10/15/2022 – Applications Open
12/1/2022 (11:59 pm PT) – Applications are due
12/9/2022 – Awardee announced
What Certificates & Programs can the scholarship be applied to?
- PMI https://www.pmi.org/certifications
- Scrum Alliance https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified
- Scrum.Org https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-certifications
- Scaled Agile https://scaledagile.com/safe-certification/
Can I use funds to buy books for these programs?
How are the funds distributed?
ProFocus will purchase all courses & materials for the winner.
To learn more about Philip Lilly’s life and legacy please visit the beautiful page made by his wife, Sophia. We cannot thank Sophia enough for sharing these beautiful moments with us and allowing us to honor Philip with this scholarship. He truly touched so many lives in such a short amount of time.